Nice, the French metropolis on the shores of the Mediterranean Sea and well-known for its soothing local weather, seashores and architectural monuments, noticed one more terror assault at a well-liked Catholic Church.
The attacker at the moment killed three individuals — decapitating two girls and stabbing a warden. The metropolis mayor stated the attacker was shouting “Allahu Akbar” (God is nice) in the course of the assault.
Just 4 yr in the past, Nice was the goal of a lone wolf assault wherein 86 individuals had been killed. A Tunisian nationwide had pushed a truck into crowds on Bastille Day on July 14, 2016.
France has seen numerous radical Islam-linked terror assaults. The first of such assaults occurred in the course of the 1990s, when an outfit referred to as the Armed Islamic Group (IGA) focused France on a number of events.
Plane hijack and Paris Metro bombings
Three main terror incidents occurred in France between 1994 and 1996 all attributed to the Armed Islamic Group, an Algeria-based terror outfit. In 1994, an Air France flight was hijacked. Four individuals died and 25 had been injured within the incident.
In 1995, France was rocked by a serial bomb blast in Paris and Lyon. The Saint-Michel practice station in Paris was the primary centre of terror assault. A complete eight individuals died and over 140 injured. In 1996, the Paris Metro was once more focused in an IED explosion. Four individuals died and 170 injured.
A policeman pushing off individuals from the spot of terror assault in Nice, France. (Photo: AFP)
Soldiers, police heading in the right direction
The terror incidents of the 1990s noticed France launch a large hunt to pin down radical terrorists. By early 2000s, France had put in place strong counter-terror equipment within the nation. But terror assaults renewed in 2012.
In the recent wave, troopers and police had been seen because the targets of the terrorists. In 2012, a self-proclaimed jihadi carried a number of shootings concentrating on troopers, a Jewish priest and even kids killing seven and injuring 5 others.
In 2014, a person shouting “Allahu Akbar” entered a police station and began attacking policemen. He killed one and injured three others.
Charlie Hebdo assault of 2015
Charlie Hebdo is a satirical French journal that had revealed cartoons of Prophet Mohammed that led to widespread protests by Muslims, who contemplate such caricatures as blasphemy.
As response, terrorists claiming affiliation to al-Qaeda and ISIS attacked Charlie Hebdo and different locations in Paris in 2015 for 3 days. A complete 17 individuals had been killed together with 12 on the Charlie Hebdo’s workplace.
France has been placed on excessive alert after terror assault in Nice. (Photo: AFP)
Post-Charlie Hebdo assaults in France
- The Charlie Hebdo assaults modified the fear panorama of France. A collection of terror assaults occurred in France that yr. The greatest incident was of November 2015 Paris assaults. More than 130 individuals had been killed in these assaults and over 400 injured. These assaults stay the one greatest terror incident in France.
- In June 2015, a person recognized as Yassin Salhi beheaded his boss and displayed the pinnacle together with two Islamic flags on the gate exterior a gasoline plant close to Lyon. French authorities stated he had hyperlinks with the ISIS. He died by suicide in a French jail.
- Another main terror assault in France occurred in Nice in 2016 when 86 individuals had been killed when a terrorist intentionally drove a cargo truck by way of crowds. More than 400 individuals had been injured within the incident, which led to an alternate of fireplace killing the terrorist.
- In 2016, two teenagers entered a church in French metropolis of Normandy and slit the throat of an 85-year-old priest with 5 watching. The attackers had been shot useless by police. Islamic State took duty and launched a video as proof.
- In 2017, three individuals had been killed together with two girls, who had been stabbed at a practice station, in separate terror assaults. The Islamic State claimed duty for these assaults. The assaults led to resignation of residence ministry officers.
- In 2018, France sees terror-related hostage disaster, knife assault in Paris and a taking pictures incident. In Paris, attacker was shouting “Allahu Akbar”. The non secular slogans have been shouted by attacker in a number of terror incidents in France.
- In 2019, a package deal bomb exploded in Lyon. French President Emmanuel Macron referred to as it a terror assault. The attacker had pledge allegiance to the Islamic State.
- In 2020, greater than half-a-dozen incidents have been reported from France. The most stunning of them was the beheading of a trainer, Samuel Paty, who was attacked as had proven the cartoons revealed by Charlie Hebdo in his lecture on freedom of speech.
- In one other incident, a youngster, set off to focus on Charlie Hebdo’s workplace, attacked 4 individuals with a meat cleaver in Paris.
- And, now the stabbing incident was reported from Nice killing three individuals in Notre-Dame de Nice.
ALSO READ | French trainer, who confirmed college students Mohammed cartoons, beheaded; Macron calls it ‘Islamist terrorist assault’
ALSO READ | Al-Qaeda threatens Charlie Hebdo for republishing Mohammed cartoons: Report
ALSO WATCH | Terror assault in France’s Nice, lady beheaded, 2 others killed